The Washington Nationals have lined up their rotation which moves Max Scherzer to the #3 spot in the reconfigured ordering for the start to the second half of the season. It was revealed that Scherzer was dealing with some back pain which is why he was pushed back to Sunday as well as the reason he did not pitch in the All-Star game. The Nationals will face the Phillies on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with a day-off on Monday. This also will set-up the “Big Four” for the crucial four-game series against the the Atlanta Braves next weekend. The Braves have no off-days next week which should have Dallas Keuchel pitching against the Brewers on Wednesday afternoon. The Phillies have a four-game series against the Dodgers from Monday to Thursday.
These are the probable match-ups:
- Stephen Strasburg vs. RHP Nick Pivetta on Friday 6:05 pm in Philadelphia
- Patrick Corbin vs. RHP Aaron Nola on Saturday 7:15 pm in Philadelphia
- Max Scherzer vs. TBD on Sunday 1:05 pm in Philadelphia
- Anibal Sanchez vs. TBD on Tuesday 7:05 pm in Baltimore
- #5 vs. TBD on Wednesday 7:05 pm in Baltimore
- Stephen Strasburg vs. RHP Julio Teheran on Thursday 7:20 pm in Atlanta
- Patrick Corbin vs. RHP Mike Soroka on Friday 7:20 pm in Atlanta
- Max Scherzer vs. LHP Max Fried on Saturday 7:20 pm in Atlanta
- Anibal Sanchez vs. RHP Bryse Wilson on Sunday 7:05 pm in Atlanta
The Nationals next two weeks are critical for their continued success, and it starts with the Nats winning each of these key series.